January was a quick month! It had some beautiful days and we were able to get a lot accomplished around our tiny homestead! So, here’s the first month Update:
1. Zero waste our home! We already do a good bit to avoid creating trash, but there is always room for improvement! Here’s the last post on what we already do: https://littlellewellynhomestead.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/zero-waste/ This month we made some yogurt to get rid of those pesky plastic containers!
2. Declutter 20 items per month. Last year I decluttered 2016 items from this house. We got rid of over 20 plastic storage containers. Well, we cleaned them out and they will be finding a new home!
3. Create only 12 bags of garbage per year. Americans are super wasteful. We are going to try to only produce one 13 gallon kitchen trash bag per month! Good news is that we are still on bag number 1!!
4. Merge crafting and homestead business. We were able to get our business number and create our logo! We are going to be at our first vendor show in March!! So we need to get moving on making crafts!
6. Expand the garden. We won’t be planting the grandparent’s garden this year, but we will be expanding our own garden! This will be happening in the spring!
7. Grow some different plants. Last year I was so excited about the luffa gourds that I grew. I’ll be growing them again along with some other different plants. Cucamelons are definitely on the list! And now strawberry popcorn! It’s not strawberry at all, but definitely popcorn!
8. Make a chicken viewing area. In the warm months I love sitting by the garden and watching the chickens and bees, but I normally sit on the ground. We are hoping to make a nice seated area in the spring! But here’s a picture of some pretty eggs for now!
9. Green up my school. Schools create an absurd amount of trash! We started a plastic film recycling program and it’s been pretty successful so far. We collected 14 pounds of plastic bags in one month. Also, my boss bought paper products, instead of plastic and styrofoam for a faculty breakfast! Baby steps!!
12. Travel more with the family! We managed to visit so many places last year and have some major traveling ideas for this year! We didn’t do much this month, but we have started planning our big summer trip!
So, there you have it! January was not the best month, but turned out ok. Let’s go February! If you set goals, how are yours going?