February came and went and we were able to get some major things accomplished! The mister got his forge up and running and I have been crocheting and sewing like a maniac! So, here’s how it is going:
1. Zero waste our home! We already do a good bit to avoid creating trash, but there is always room for improvement! We have been replacing packaged food with homemade. We phased out packaged lemon bars with homemade! The only leftovers were egg shells that were dried and crushed for tomatoes and lemons that were put in the compost!
2. Declutter 20 items per month. Last year I decluttered 2016 items from this house. We were able to get rid of 12 things this month. A few of the mister’s shirts and cups that we don’t use!
3. Create only 12 bags of garbage per year. Americans are super wasteful. We are going to try to only produce one 13 gallon kitchen trash bag per month! We had to take out our first trash bag and the second is only halfway full! (Spoiler alert, I have some crazy ideas for less garbage this summer!)
4. Merge crafting and homestead business. The mister has made some bottle openers with his forge and I’ve been making some aprons! My aprons will be carried in a local store, so that’s kind of a big deal!
5. Create a summer kitchen. We will be turning a spot in the garage into a nice canning area. (And continue preserving our harvest!) Hopefully this will happen before strawberry season! 🍓
6. Expand the garden. We won’t be planting the grandparent’s garden this year, but we will be expanding our own garden! The garlic and rhubarb have started doing their thing!
7. Grow some different plants. Last year I was so excited about the luffa gourds that I grew. I’ll be growing them again along with some other different plants. So far on the list: luffa, strawberry popcorn, cucamelons and birdhouse gourds.
8. Make a chicken viewing area. In the warm months, I love sitting by the garden and watching the chickens and bees. But, I normally sit on the ground. We are hoping to make a nice seated area in the spring!
9. Green up my school. Schools create an absurd amount of trash! My class recycled 55 pounds of plastic bags through the trex program and we saved the hug drink cups from the garbage in my class!
10. Track our solar panels. So, February was our first full month of solar energy. We produced about 840 kWh this month!
11. Continue beekeeping. Well, the bad news is that the yellow hive didn’t make it. The good news is that we were able to get lots of yummy honey! We are planning on getting another hive in April!
12. Travel more with the family! We managed to visit so many places last year and have some major traveling ideas for this year! We didn’t do much this month, but we have been thinking of all the places that we need to visit!
So, there you have it! February flew right out the window, and in a March I need to get moving on gardening! Only 30 more days until the next recap, so get to work! 😊
If you set goals, how are yours going?