I know what you’re thinking… you have to spend money to stay alive! You’re right! I also don’t want my belongings repo-ed or to starve! So, of course we are going to pay our mortgage and other bills. We are also going to definitely be buying food, but staying in our budget!
Now on to the reason why we would do this! My mister is a police officer and has been for over 20 years. His job has definitely changed in the past couple years, with many more dangerous changes in the future. I would love for him to be able to retire sooner instead of later!
The objectives to our challenge: (I don’t like to call them rules!)
1. We have a budget for how much that we spend on our groceries per month. We will stick to that budget and you won’t be seeing us eat out! (Unless we have a gift card!)
2. Lunch packing is in our future. No coffees, teas, sodas or drive thrus. (Which is really easy to me because I don’t go to them!)
3. Shopping for new items is going to be avoided. No buying more clothes or shoes or whatevers. If we really need something, we will try to find it second hand. Gifting will be interesting this year!
4. The buying of business items, will still happen. Also, I’m sure that we will still need to buy gardening items. But, whatever money is made from the homestead will go back into it!
5. We are planning on packing up the family and heading west on a road trip this summer. We definitely will be watching what we spend, but we also want to make sure that this is a great experience. So, sending will happen.
6. Yes, we are going to have to buy fuel, but we really don’t waste it. I might just need to find alternate transportation to work. Walking or 🚲 ?
7. We don’t use disposable items, like paper towels or commercial cleaners. But, we will need to spend money on toilet paper and laundry detergent.
8. We definitely won’t scrimp on medications or doctors visits. Also, if a NEED must be replaced, it will be. We need to make sure everyone here is very well taken care of.
9. All the pets will be taken care of including fed well and receive vet care when needed.
10. This is the hardest to avoid! We will only be making purchases to benefit our homestead.
Overall this will be a way of separating out our needs from our wants! We will be updating on how much we have been able to save! Anyone else out there up for the challenge? Maybe only for a few weeks or months? 2018 is going to be a great year! Keep blooming friends! 🌱💚